Tuesday, December 20, 2005

How to fail: Get excited about planning, not doing

I can get so excited about planning my life and my upcoming days. I have a pretty good picture of what I want to be down the road. Each month I take the time to think through and pray about what I can do for each key role (Faith, Fitness, Family, Friends, Favor, Finances, Firm, Fun) to move toward the vision I believe God has for me.

I put a check mark next to the things I've completed, and an X next to those things I neglected to do. So often at the end of the month, there are too many X's. So, I'll read something about motivation or inspiration or mission building, and I'll get all excited about next month. "OK, I'm really ready to rocket ahead this time," I tell myself. And yet as the month goes on, I'll realize I'm not keeping up.

Am I putting too much on my plate? Am I unfocused (I believe that is a problem of mine)? Do I depend too much on how I feel (probably)?

As for the "how I feel," I know that when I react to what I want to do rather than prioritizing what's best to do--despite the initial feelings, I end up feeling worse in the end than if I did what was best--which ultimately leads to good feelings.

How about you? Are you sometimes too big-eyed about your plans for your life? If you are falling behind your plans, do you think it's because you can't or won't keep up? What's holding you back? I'd love to hear some advice and testimonies. God bless. Let's be doers and not just planners.

6 Comments:

At 13:44, Blogger cmmdtp said...

Good post. I too am a planner. I set goals each year, then break it down to monthly, weekly and daily goals.

Every day I start my work day with a to do list and check things off as I go, at the end of the day I review the list and carry over things that were not done.

During my hour commute to work then 45 minute commute home, I try to turn off the radio and pray as I drive. Thanking Jesus, and asking Him to help me in my daily life.

 
At 16:09, Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks, cmmdtp. I know I get motivated by checking off items I have done. Prayer is such a major factor in helping me prioritize correctly and giving up my will to God's.

Goals are so helpful. I need to set them more regularly, and especially get ones the really inspire.

 
At 19:45, Blogger eph2810 said...

Yeah - prayer is the best. I think sometimes we run without 'checking' with God first. Believe me, I have been there. I think too, sometimes, we put too much on our plate and than we loose track of the things God wants us to accomplish in this life-time. I like this one quote Pastor Greg Laurie uses all the time:"Prayer is not to bent God to do our will, but to align us with God's will". Looking at my own life over the past year, I have to say that is so true. I have done so many things in the 'public' lime-light of my church and thought that's what God wanted, but through His guidance, I am going a different direction.
Oh, I hope that made sense what I just said.

 
At 09:14, Blogger Jeff said...

I think it made perfect sense. I guess sometimes I want to feel *I* accomplished something, that I had the intelligence to figure out what to do and the wherewithal to carry it out. Of course this is prideful, and time and time again when I do so I end up worse than if I had sought God.

 
At 03:03, Blogger Annette Burkett said...

Maybe I'm not doing the norm, but very rarely do I set goals or make plans. I do feel that there is something to be said for letting the Holy Spirit lead us. If we get too focused on our own goals, which we sometimes construe as being God's goals for us, we don't leave room to do His will. However, I am big on writing down what God has done in my life. To me it feels the same, if not better, than how you must feel when you accomplish your goals.

 
At 11:05, Blogger Jeff said...

Annette, I like to set goals after praying, but always be open to divine interruptions. As for contrasting what God has done in my life to accomplishing my goals, I don't necessarily think they have to be mutually exclusive. I truly hope that my goals are God-inspired and God-honoring.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home