Thursday, November 03, 2005

Mixed up highway ramps reflecting life

Have you ever dealt with poorly designed highway onramps and offramps? In particular, the ones that have the offramp after the onramp, so you're fighting the oncoming cars for that lane as you try to exit and they try to enter the highway? Or vice-versa. Some time back I wrote the government asking about this, and they said they hadn't foreseen the traffic being as voluminous as it now is.

I too often mix up my priorities because despite the history of my life, I fail to foresee that my days will be more busy than I expected. And like the lost time resulting from dings and fender-benders from cars jockeying for position at those mixed up highway ramps, I tend to lose (forget) important responsibilities because my mind is filled with competing responsibilities.

Like recently, when I lost my debit card. I was probably thinking about what I was going to do next, and not being "in the moment" so I could be sure I had everything in place. I probably had too much "traffic" on my schedule and was rushing to keep up. In short, I was caught in the middle, like those cars in that lane trying to enter and exit, and didn't know whether I was coming or going.

I suppose we shouldn't blame the highway designers for failing to foresee such a high amount of traffic. But for those of us who are Christians, we have access to the Lord, who can guide us in planning our days so we don't become overloaded and accident prone. My wife and I were praying recently, and she was convinced that it was when we don't seek God that our days are all out of whack. Martin Luther once said that he didn't have time not to pray for 3 hours a day. Well, maybe 3 hours is too much for most of us, but perhaps if we remember to seek God for even several minutes out of the day, we'll be riding smoothly on the road of life (sorry, just had to toss that in there!).

Dear Lord, please help us to always put You first. Give us wisdom to plan our days according to your will, so we don't crowd out and forget the true priorities. We thank You for always giving us the time we need to do the things You call us to. In Jesus' name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home