Friday, October 14, 2005

It's not all about me

The last couple of days have been rather disturbing. Yesterday, just because I let somebody merge in front of me (the traffic was barely moving), the person behind me apparently thought that slowed down his ride by a few seconds--which is simply unacceptable--and so he honked at me. Today, I saw a couple cars refuse to allow cars to merge, again in heavy traffic.

Did you read the story about the woman who faked her pregnancy, then kidnaped a woman in an attempt to cut the baby out of her womb? Indeed, this is an extreme form of the rudeness that is captivating our culture.

Here, Albert Mohler shows the extreme form of selfishness that is being taught at a major university. He discusses Peter Singer, who says our personhood is based on our level of cognizance, and extrapolates to say that therefore a severely retarded human may be less worthy of life than a dog or cat, and that infanticide should therefore be legal. Singer says:
If we compare a severely defective human infant with a nonhuman animal, a dog or
a pig, for example, we will often find the nonhuman to have superior capacities,
both actual and potential, for rationality, self-consciousness, communication,
and anything else that can plausibly be considered morally significant.


And haven't we read so often about how "criminal" it is to take eggs from a nest, but it's "fine" to commit abortion? Singer would widen that divide.

But it goes beyond those who are retarded. Check this out:

The fact that a being is a human being, in the sense of a member of the species
Homo sapiens, is not relevant to the wrongness of killing it; it is, rather,
characteristics like rationality, autonomy, and self-consciousness that make a
difference. Infants lack these characteristics. Killing them, therefore, cannot
be equated with killing normal human beings, or any other self-conscious beings.


So if a woman gives birth, and then several days or even weeks after decides the baby cramps her style, so to speak, she should be able to kill him because he lacks the personhood that Singer deems necessary. The same with old people with dementia in nursing homes (and I wonder if it applies, or will one day, to the mentally astute but bedridden?).


The Bible decries selfishness, and praises those who give sacrificially. A person who takes a life simply to make their life easier, or doesn't allow traffic to merge, is not truly happy. We get more by giving than we do by getting, for the Lord blesses the selfless person abundantly.

(OK, I'm trying my hand at Technorati tags. I'm a bit befuddled, so forgive me if it doesn't work properly. If you have suggestions, please let me know. As you can also see, I have done more updating on my blogging tools.)

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 15:16, Blogger eph2810 said...

Woe - Singer really said those things. That is just too bad...what happenes to him if he looses all his faculties in the brain of his...are people allow to take him out than?...
You know it is so sad, but this week again they found a baby boy in the Phoenix Airport in the women's restroom - sadly when they found him, he was already dead. There are so many families who want a child, but due to medical issues can't have them on their own.
BTW - "Word Verification" helps protect your blog from Spam - it really works. Honest people who want to command your posts will do with the "Word Verification" :)
<>< Iris

 
At 16:24, Blogger Jeff said...

"what happenes to him if he looses all his faculties in the brain of his...are people allow to take him out than?..."

I had thought about that, and it would follow, wouldn't it?

My wife and I can't have children. We are going through the process of adopting, and we are especially sickened to see such stories as that in Phoenix.

As for word verification, you're probably right. I had read somewhere that people were complaining about getting less legitimate comments with the word verification on, but if I'll be getting all this spam, maybe it's not worth it to have it off.

 
At 19:22, Blogger eph2810 said...

Jeff - I am sorry to hear about you and your wife. I will keep the two of you in my prayers...that the adoption process will go swift. I know that you and your wife will be a blessing to whom ever you adopt.
God's peace,
<><
PS.: I see, you put word verfication on...:)

 
At 14:26, Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for your prayers and concern. They mean a lot. Please keep at it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home