Thursday, October 13, 2005

Expandable trousers, or expend some energy?

The pants I'm wearing don't fit like they used to. For years I had not gained any weight; I mean for years. Then, at around 40, it started adding up. I'm now about 20 pounds heavier than I was. And it's not muscle. In fact, I think most of it is around my waist.

I'm coming to like expandable waistbands on my trousers (are there any expandable belts out there, especially when your belt is on its last hole?). When I wear these non-expandable pants, it reminds me how out of shape I am. As long as I'm comfortable, I tend to ignore or at least belittle exercise and healthy eating. For a while I've been telling my wife I'm going to get into better health habits. She has already taken significant steps in that direction. But there's always something I like to do more (isn't that always the case?).

Let's face it. I know that exercise is a good thing, but I want the rewards, not the discipline. I want to be able to tell other people what's best while not feeling obligated to do it myself. Zig Ziglar once said that a hypocrite is a person who complains about the sex and violence on his VCR. In the case of exercise, that seems to be me. In earlier posts I discussed key life areas (Faith, Fitness, Family, Friends, Favor, Finances, Firm, and Fun). Imagine a wheel with 8 spokes, each spoke representing a key life area. Based on how you're doing in each area (1 for poor, 10 for excellent), make a mark on the appropriate spoke--1 is closest to the center and 10 is near the rim. Now connect those dots. Are you able to create a circle with those dots? I know I can't. My physical fitness is near the center, while my fun is pretty high up there. I'm doing well with friends (that's improved in the past couple of years) and family, while firm (career) is dragging somewhat (largely because I'm intimidated by the whole resume and interview process; I do have a job, but there have been some close calls with downsizing). Finances: OK. Faith, greatly improved thanks in large part to the example and blessing of my wife.

So my wheel is quite wobbly. I will hit my fitness and firm much harder in the coming weeks, so they don't get even more "out of shape."

1 Comments:

At 19:52, Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

The larger clothes that I was going to throw out because I'd slimmed down now fit me rather well. I need to do something fairly urgently to decrease the increase.

Oh well. Summer's on its way so I'll just have to get out on my bike a little, well actually a lot, more.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home