Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A duty to protect and cherish

Albert Mohler's commentary of October 18 is stunning and sickening. Imagine:
Medical researchers estimate that 80 percent or more of babies now
prenatally diagnosed with Down syndrome are aborted. (They estimate that since
1989, 70 percent of Down syndrome fetuses have been aborted.) A high percentage
of fetuses with cystic fibrosis are aborted, as evident in Kaiser Permanente's
admission to The New York Times that 95 percent of its patients in Northern
California choose abortion after they find out through prenatal screening that
their fetus will have the disease.

writes George Neumayr. George Will, father of a Down syndrome child, Jon, seems to concur. Says Patricia E. Bauer, mother of Margaret, who also has Down syndrome:
To them, Margaret falls into the category of avoidable human suffering. At best,
a tragic mistake. At worst, a living embodiment of the pro-life movement. Less
than human. A drain on society. That someone I love is regarded this way is
unspeakably painful to me
(emphasis mine).

And she adds this chilling postscript:
Margaret's old pediatrician tells me that years ago he used to have a steady
stream of patients with Down syndrome. Not anymore. Where did they go, I
wonder. On the west side of L.A., they aren't being born anymore, he says.

Jesus spoke about those we now consider expendable. In Matthew 25:44-45, He says,
Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty
or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?'
Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it
to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.'


This has always been Gods heart. Proverbs 14:31 says,
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is
generous to the needy honors him.

And don't forget who bears the ultimate pain:
And he [Paul] said, "Who are you, Lord?" And he said, "I am Jesus, whom you are
persecuting. (Acts 9:5)


May the Lord have mercy on us for this shameful slaughter of these precious children.

2 Comments:

At 01:26, Anonymous Eric said...

As a parent of a special needs 11 year old boy pieces like this make me want to do things an otherwise sane person wouldn't do. As this type of rhetoric increases I fear for the future of anyone who is not born "perfect".

I like what you have going here Jeff, and I have added you to the rolls.

 
At 14:55, Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks, Eric. I'm sure your boy is a blessing to you. I'm adding you to my roll as well; I don't know whether I've come across your site before, but I like what you have to say.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home