Friday, September 23, 2005

Going as we're led

Proverbs 22:6 says that parents should train their children according to their natural bent. I think it's sad to see parents trying to live their failed dreams vicariously through their children. A father will keep hounding his uncoordinated son to be a football player. A mother will get on her daughter's case for not keeping up with piano lessons. These children will either gravitate back toward what they enjoy doing, or they'll stew in frustration and will rarely excel in what's been cast upon them.

I'm thankful to have had parents who helped me foster what I enjoy doing, and now a wife who encourages me to be who God created me to be. I believe we are doing what we're meant to do when our skills and our passions go hand-in-hand. In fact, I think what we enjoy doing we are usually quite good at (or at least have potential to be good). We can and should seek to improve, but we should also appreciate where we're at, and not keep waiting until we're good enough to bless the world and glorify God with it.

My wife recently started scrapbooking, and she loves it. She had thought about doing it in the past, but was never able to find ample time. I'm so thankful she did start, because our wedding album is beautiful. Our son has a very creative mind. He wrote a funny play, complete with main characters and background characters. They have gotten lost in what they are doing.

If you read my earlier posts about our family's vision (July 6) and my personal mission (August 1), you'll get an idea where my passions lie. I hope I have at least some measure of skill as well in living out my mission. And I pray that each of you knows or soon discovers your natural bent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home