Friday, September 30, 2005

Awareness of the moment

In Matthew 6:34, Jesus says, "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

This morning I had to be out early to get my car inspected. I was all set. Except for one thing: my keys. I searched all over and was coming up empty. My wife had a day off, but she ended up waking and helping me look. I'm so thankful she puts up with me!

I found the keys. They were left in the front door (I'd better not let anybody know where I live, because I've done it before and I could do it again!).

In the verses before Matthew 6:34, Jesus tells His disciples not to be anxious, for to do so it fruitless, and actually brings more trouble than it's worth. I'm sure my mind was preoccupied when I came home last night. I was already thinking about what was next before I finished what I was doing in the now--taking my keys out of the door.

Not to say that planning ahead is wrong. Proverbs 30:25, talking about that which is "exceedingly wise," says, "The ants are a people not strong, yet they provide their food in the summer." To live in the future and be in a daze for the current moment is foolish. There must be a balance.

Aren't so many of us likely to think about where we're going when we're driving (which is important), but not notice the beauty of God's creation around us? Even as adults, we're thinking, "Are we there yet?" And we miss what matters now. Like keys hanging in the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home