Monday, August 01, 2005

Mission

I recently discussed the importance of focus (and how lack thereof in my life has led me to often move every direction but forward).

The next MAXIMIZERS principle in Dr. Jenson's acrostic is "March to a Mission." What does this have to do with focus? A lot, I believe. A mission-minded person tends to focus intently on doing those things that bring him closer to his mission, and spending little or no time on those things that don't advance his mission or that even contradict it.

My mission statement is not set in stone, but as of now it reads: "To have a God-driven and God-focused passion toward true love and reverence of Christ, right living, and relationships; and to lead others through my communicating, teaching, and overall way of living to realize that He and His ways are best so they can experience true hope and joy in life." It needs some tweaking, but it provides some specific direction to my daily schedule. This blog is one of the tools I use to move toward the fulfillment of that mission.

Here are a couple other mission statements:

Campus Crusade for Christ (http://www.ccci.org/mission_statement.html)

Moody Bible Institute (http://www.moody.edu/mission.htm)


A mission should drive us. We Christians might well consider it our calling. Sometimes it's hard to see how we can best accomplish our mission when often times we're in a job that seems to have nothing to do with our goals, or when we are in a church that has not yet found a place for us in ministry and we feel they are missing out on our revolutionary impact. "Did God call me to this?" we might ask ourselves.

If we believe in a big God, we shouldn't question where He has put us. For He can do great things in small people. Look at what He did through Gideon, who considered himself the lowest person in the lowest tribe. Read what Gideon says in Judges 6:15: "'O Lord, how shall I deliver Israel? Behold, my family is the least in Manasseh, and I am the youngest in my father's house.'" And even in the USA in 2005, while there is no official caste system, some people who are born into the right connections seem to call the shots. Seem to. Don't make light of the "only one person" you have any influence on. If you are called to be a stay-at-home mother, envision big things for your children, because the more you expect from them, the more they are likely to become.

Don't put off determining and pursuing your mission, and don't think that because you are no longer young you therefore might as well forget about it. Renowned salesman and motivational speaker Zig Ziglar was broke in his mid 40s, but now he can demand $50,000 to $75,000 per speaking engagement (see here). Grandma Moses was elderly before she even started to paint. Franz Haydn is another example. And Moses was 80 when God (finally) called him to lead His people out of Egypt. If He has not yet called you to a particular mission, then He's getting you ready for it. As I wrote in my mission, and I believe it should be part of everybody's mission, my "overall way of living" is a key factor in influencing the world for Christ. Even if we do just that to His glory, we'll make Him smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home