Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Make Things Happen: My story

I recently posted on the London bombing and how the Make Things Happen principle applied to the terrorists and those fighting for good. But I feel compelled to share how I'm doing with this principle. After all, I did post earlier that I would include my successes and failures.

Taking responsibility isn't easy, especially when the temptation to pass the buck is all around. My parents were divorced when I was young. I didn't have the best looks or athleticism or social skills as a teen, so I couldn't be with the popular groups.

I do struggle with living based on how I feel, not on what's the right thing to do at the time. I lose my temper too easily. And so on. Is it because of my genetics? Or how I was raised?

Fact is, there is no law of life saying that I must allow outside forces to determine what I do. I can't necessarily control whether I feel like doing something, but Jesus didn't feel like going to the cross. Most of the brave warriors fighing terrorism don't feel like risking their lives and leaving their families. But there is a sense of honor in doing the right thing at a hard time. I am responsible for what I do and say and allow myself to think.

Dr. Jenson says we should focus on the roots, not the fruit. In other words, work on those things we can control. I can't always control the trials and temptations I encounter, but I can control my response. And wisdom dictates more often than not that I turn these things over to God so I can be strengthened and encouraged.

Working hard. I often want things handed to me that I didn't earn. But I never look back on those moments in fond remembrance. And admittedly, working smart should also be part of the equation. But I'm sure that an employer who finds a person working hard will find more use for that person than a smart worker who sits on his duff 80% of the time. A hard worker will want to learn, while a lazy person will find ways to avoid work.

Proactivity. I'm often too reactive, not stepping out to make the path toward the end God has for me. I've heard that reacting is emotional while responding is intellectual. A person who has not encountered warfare is more likely to react and allow his emotions to control his actions for a longer time than a person who has been in battle often. A reacter will allow other people and circumstances to choose his destiny, while a proacter (OK, so those words may not be in the dictionary!!) will step into the destiny God has in mind, no matter how difficult.

Habits. I'm learning that "habit" isn't necessarily a bad word. It's simply what's natural. Until fairly recently it didn't dawn on me that I can develop good habits. Of course, bad habits are developed by doing the wrong, but enjoyable, things. The good things are not always enjoyable at first, but their reward far exceeds those of bad habits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home