Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Focus or fail

That is, don't spread yourself too thin. Focus on a handful of key objectives, and stay with them.

I'm living proof of that, from both sides.

But why do I, and others, fail to focus, and as a result, fail?

Is it because I want to get too much done too soon, so I overload my "plate" and become overwhelmed to the point that I shut down?

Is it because I'm not really sure what I want, so I dabble in a multitude of ventures?

Is it because I fear failure of those things I attempt to do, so I only halfheartedly approach them, and then move on once it starts getting deep?

Robert Ringer once said, "Laserlike focus is perhaps the most common trademark of the supersuccessful." There are, after all, only a handful of people like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders, who could excel at more than one thing. And it's pretty likely that they would have excelled even more if they would have focused on one sport.

Unless you are a very talented and dedicated individual, learn from my mistakes and stay focused. Otherwise, you'll come to see as I did that moving around will have you no further along than when you started.

I believe it was Zig Ziglar (and please correct me if I'm wrong) who said that you can take a magnifying glass on the hottest and sunniest day, and put it under the sun, and it won't light a dry pile of leaves--if you keep moving it around. But once you keep it still for a length of time, the sun's rays will soon heat up those leaves until they start smoldering, then burning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home