Thursday, July 28, 2005

Be around good, positive people

I was in a bit of a funk when I got home last night. A bunch of to-dos on my list, and I didn't know where to start. Seems like I struggle with putting too much on my plate, as I wrote in my previous post, and then I get overwhelmed to the point I just shut down and don't do anything.

My wonderful wife helped me realize all I do accomplish. She's always reminding me not to be so hard on myself. She says not to live in the past, but focus on what we can do in the time we have and with the resources we possess. I can't make up for everything I missed out on due to past laziness or inefficiency, but I can start today to make a better tomorrow for myself and my loved ones.

Common sense, but when we're down on ourselves it often takes a voice of love and reason to open our eyes. By God's grace I didn't marry a woman who keeps focusing on what I don't accomplish. Of course I want to keep growing, but I'm thankful I can be appreciated for being further along than I was. I pray that each reader has somebody who loves them no matter what and who has confidence in them.

I just happen to be reading The Power of Focus, which says on page 17: "If you hang around people who are always complaining about how bad everything is, you may start believing what they say. On the other hand, if you surround yourself with people who are strong and positive, you're more likely to see a world full of opportunity and adventure." (Canfield, Jack, Mark Victor Hanson, and Les Hewitt, The Power of Focus. Health Communications, Inc: Deerfield Beach, FL, 2000). (Sorry if my bibliographical skills are lacking; it's been a while).

We can see an example of this in 1 Samuel 15, when Saul is told to totally destroy everything under Amalek (v. 3). But Saul spared Agag, king of the Amelekites, and the best of the sheep, etc. (v. 9). He tried to defend this by saying the animals were for sacrifices to the Lord (v. 21), but Samuel told him that the Lord prefers obedience over sacrifices (v. 22). Then Saul said in verse 24, "I have sinned; I have indeed transgressed the command of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and listened to their voice" (emphasis mine).

Sometimes, like Saul, we can't choose the people around us, but the ones we choose had better be helpful or we'll be swallowed alive by the naysayers that seem to be so prevalent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home